Here at Fenwick Candles, all our candles and wax melts are lovingly handcrafted in our studio in Perthshire. Each combination of fragrance, wax and wick is carefully tested to create a beautifully scented product that will give hours of enjoyment.
We are very proud of our wax melts and candles and want you to enjoy them as much as we do, so here are a few simple tips to ensure you get the most out of your Fenwick Candles product.
Believe it or not, candles have a memory! How often have you burned a candle and been disappointed when lots of wax is left on the side of the container?
The reason is that if your candle is only lit for a short time on the first burn (say, one or two hours), the melt pool – which creates that gorgeous aroma – won’t ever be enough to melt all the wax in your candle. It ‘remembers’ that first burn and repeats it, leading to ‘tunnelling’.
To prevent this, we recommend that both our candle tins and pillar candles should be lit for approximately four hours on the first burn and thereafter for three-four hours each time for maximum fragrance throw.
Each of our candles is supplied with the wick trimmed to approximately 5mm to ensure your candle burns evenly and to prevent the flame from getting too large. You should trim the wick to 5mm before EVERY burn. If the flame is too big or starts to flicker or smoke, simply extinguish your candle, trim the wick and relight. Always make sure after each burn that your wick is central to ensure even burning.
Always place your candle on a heat-resistant surface. Container candles should not be used in hurricane-style candle holders. Pillar candles should only be used with a suitable candle holder in case of spillage.
Wax melts should only be used in a burner designed for this purpose. Oil burners are smaller and may become too hot. ONLY use an unscented four-hour tealight – anything over this may become too hot. Never add water to your wax melter.
To use, add one or two melts to your burner. Replace when you can no longer smell the scent – unlike a candle, the wax in a wax melt won’t disappear! A simple trick to remove the used wax from your burner is to light your tealight for a minute or so then slide out the wax disc.
Never leave a candle unattended.
Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from furniture, curtains, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
Never touch or move a candle while it is burning or while the wax is liquefied.
Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a container candle when 1-2cm remains or 5cm if using a pillar candle.
Place burning candles at least 10cm apart from one another. This is to make sure they don’t melt one another, or create their own draughts that will cause the candles to burn improperly.
Never use a candle as a night light or while you may fall asleep.
And our last tip – enjoy!